Saturday, April 3, 2010

Barack Obama on Offshore Drilling


"When I'm President, I INTEND to keep in place the moratorium... that prevents oil companies from drilling off the Florida coastline..."

To be fair, an intention isn't a promise. I intend to pick up some ice cream from the supermarket, but if something else more important comes up along the way, I might get that instead...

Granted I don't agree with the decision, but if this is the only way he is going to get an energy bill in place, and if we will inevitably start drilling when the republicans resume power, I can at least assume that the construction of oil wells under Barack will be higher regulated and prevent further damage to the environment.

If in order to fix a pipe you have to turn the water off, I'm ok with turning the water off. But if your plan is just to turn the water off, you're just postponing the problem and not dealing with it.

I'm hoping that this was a necessary means to fix the problem and not just a necessary means to make some money.

Ultimately, I am not a mind reader, and only in the future will we see if Obama is a fool or a chess master. He tried to change the culture of Washington and gave up after it didn't work overnight. Now, we'll have to see how his strategies pan out.

Context, context, context...

No comments:

Post a Comment