Monday, November 7, 2011

The Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline White House Rally: The Signs, Posters and Protesters

#Occupy, clean energy advocates, water warriors, and Americans united this Sunday to encircle the White House and let the President know that opposing the Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline is not only in his personal self-interest, but the public’s interest.

Organized by TarSandsAction.org, internal reports estimate that 12,000 protesters rallied together to make history by creating a circle of unity around 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, a “symbolic house arrest” according to 350.org leading environmental activist Bill McKibben.


"It was a grand slam home run... This was an amazing day to be up there with every part of the progressive coalition. These are the people who put Barack Obama in office. If he can't hear this, then he can't hear anything."

While taking my first vacation to DC, I thought there’d be no better way to conclude by stay in the Capital than to spend my Sunday afternoon promoting civic engagement by fighting this dangerous source of pollution.

For my initial commentary on the Pipeline itself, check out the archives, or enjoy some of these pictures of the protesters with their posters, signs, and buttons. My apologies for the low quality, but my usual camera died so I switched to my camera-phone...

My reflections on the experience itself are still to come, but until then, enjoy!





















































No comments:

Post a Comment